With a population of just 7,000 and a prime location on Seven Mile Beach, it’s no surprise Lennox Head is steadily drawing sea-changers away from bustling Byron Bay.
For retirees, this protected part of the NSW coast offers the right mix of activity and relaxation. Here are seven reasons to put Lennox Head at the top of your list.
- A better property for much less. It doesn’t take a real estate expert to see that house prices in neighbouring Byron Bay and Ballina are around twice what Lennox Head sellers are asking. When you factor in the crowds and higher cost of living in these larger towns, choosing Lennox Head makes even more sense.
- A range of retirement options. If you’re planning to downsize, there are plenty of options besides traditional freestanding properties, such as lifestyle developments and retirement communities that offer various levels of care and support.
- A community atmosphere. Another big difference locals mention when comparing Lennox Head to neighbouring towns is its strong community. Fortnightly markets, regular surfing competitions, barefoot bowls and the annual Love Lennox Festival all bring locals together.
- Protected coastal waters. Lennox Head boasts Australia’s largest protected surfing reserve, which means this stretch of coastline will remain free from major changes into the future. Even if you’re not one for surfing, you can’t beat the panoramic views from Pat Morton Lookout where you’re almost guaranteed to spot a dolphin or two.
- An emerging coffee culture. Even though Lennox Head is anything but pretentious, there are a few hints of city culture gradually taking hold. Check out the Williamsburg café for coffee that has the locals convinced.
- A chance to get out on the green. With Teven Valley, Ballina and Byron Bay golf courses all under 30 minutes drive away, the golf enthusiast in your life will be more than taken care of. (And if you’re not a golfing fan, there’s always the option to spend a quiet afternoon visiting one of the local art galleries.)
- Connected to Byron, Ballina and Brisbane. From Lennox Head, driving north to Byron Bay takes just under 30 minutes. Meanwhile, you can be parked at Ballina Airport 15 minutes after leaving your house or arriving in central Brisbane in under two hours.
Our advice to retirees considering a move to Lennox Head is this: don’t leave your move too long. Word has already started to spread about the benefits of the area for those who want the best of the beach with quick access to everything the city has to offer. The timing has never been better to talk to an experience real estate agent about your options and get into the market before prices really start to rise.
The timing has never been better to talk to an experienced real estate agent about your options and get into the market before prices really start to rise.